How To Shine Shoes and Boots
August 29 2019·
August 29 2019·
Follow our simple, step-by-step guide to get a perfect shine every time.
- Using either a hard boar bristle brush or a damp cloth with some of our TopShine Leather Cleaner and Conditioner, remove all loose dirt from your shoes.
- Remove the shoe laces. This is optional when it comes to a quick shine, but for a thorough shine, you will need access to the tongue and to protect the laces.
- If you have shoe trees, use them to pack out the shoes. This allows the polish to get into the crease where the foot bends and prevent it from becoming dry, brittle, and cracked.
- Apply TopShine Leather Dye evenly all over the leather soles with a wool dauber or sponge to create a powerful, smooth and rich colour. In the case of black shoes, apply to the whole shoe for complete coverage.
- Apply TopShine Shoe Cream all over the shoe. Pay extra attention to the creases where the shoe is most likely to crack. This will keep your leather soft and healthy, prolonging the life of your shoes.
- Apply TopShine Shoe Polish to the shoe in even, circular motions with either the applicator brushes or a cloth. Make sure you apply the polish sparingly: too much polish and no amount of buffing will remove any smears or streaks. Pay particular attention to the areas around the toe and the heel. Excess polish can be removed from the eyelets or brogue designs using a toothpick.
- Let the leather absorb the polish for at least 10-15 minutes. Some purists may glide a hot spoon over the surface to melt the wax, creating an even, army-standard shine.
- Buff! This is where the TopShine Shoe Polishing Brushes and elbow grease come into their element.
- Buff again! This time, use a microfibre towel or a duster held taut between two hands and work it over the surface in a brisk sawing motion. It may be easier to do this while wearing the shoes.
- Replace the laces in your shoes. If you’re looking to be more adventurous, why not try some of our colourful shoe laces? Or perhaps choose some of our classic colours to keep your laces looking as fresh as the rest of your shoes?
Our best-selling Shoe Shine Kit comes with all of the tools you need to keep your shoes and boots in top condition.
By Romi Topi
Shoe Shine Service Ltd